|The Top 10 Book
Update 19 September
Volume 1: Jan-Sep
636 pages, PDF
November – April 2021
The following text will undergo additional copyediting, typesetting and review before it is published in its final form, but we are providing this version to give it early visibility.
Top 10 Special
Vaccinate for seasonal influenza
Several authors (Richmond 2020, Jaklevic 2020, Singer 2020, Rubin 2020, Maltezoua 2020) and public health agencies are recommending expanding seasonal flu vaccination in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. This follows concerns about the potential “double epidemic” of COVID-19 and seasonal flu during the winter months (Balakrishnan 2020, Gostin 2020).
Source: Servick K. How will COVID-19 affect the coming flu season? Scientists struggle for clues. Science 2020, published 14 August. Full-text: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/how-will-covid-19-affect-coming-flu-season-scientists-struggle-clues. Reproduced with permission.
- Molecular architecture of the SARS-CoV-2 virus
- Transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 during long flight
- Viral Load Predicts Mortality in Patients with and Without Cancer Who Are Hospitalized with COVID-19
After more than six months of studying the scientific COVID-19 literature you might wish to take a break. What if you did something completely different? For example, learning a few Italian words. The Covid Reference team has prepared for you a fine free package of audio files and PDFs. (Even a cellphone app!)
Enjoy: http://4Elisa.com/Audio !
- Ultrasensitive high-resolution profiling of early seroconversion in patients with COVID-19
- Ultrasensitive and visual detection of SARS-CoV-2 using all-in-one dual CRISPR-Cas12a assay
- A national consensus management pathway for paediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome temporally associated with COVID-19 (PIMS-TS)
- Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: A Review of Viral, Host, and Environmental Factors
- Association of Daily Wear of Eyeglasses With Susceptibility to Coronavirus Disease 2019 Infection
- A history of herd immunity
- Detection of SARS-CoV-2 with SHERLOCK One-Pot Testing
- Clustering and superspreading potential of SARS-CoV-2 infections in Hong Kong
- Seasonal coronavirus protective immunity is short-lasting
- Complete mapping of mutations to the SARS-CoV-2 spike receptor-binding domain that escape antibody recognition.
- Frequency of Children vs Adults Carrying Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Asymptomatically
- SARS-CoV-2–Associated Deaths Among Persons Aged <21 Years — United States, February 12–July 31, 2020
- The lasting misery of coronavirus long-haulers
- Every Body Counts: Measuring Mortality From the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes in a Multicenter Registry of Patients with HIV and Coronavirus Disease-19
Lost and Found or “The Zebra Fish Collection”
Crazy times – we are approaching 50.000 COVID-19 citations on PubMed. These days publishing must go fast, sometimes even faster, sometimes too fast. Here we present 10 examples.
- SARS-CoV-2 transmission via speech-generated respiratory droplets
- Racial/Ethnic Variation in Nasal Gene Expression of Transmembrane Serine Protease 2 (TMPRSS2)
- Postdischarge thrombosis and hemorrhage in patients with COVID-19
- German national team of amateur boxers: 100% transmission within days
- Prevalence of Underlying Medical Conditions Among Selected Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers
- Reduced maximal aerobic capacity after COVID-19 in young adult recruits, Switzerland, May 2020
- The emergence of SARS-CoV-2 in Europe and North America
- The coding capacity of SARS-CoV-2
- A neutrophil activation signature predicts critical illness and mortality in COVID-19
- Clinical Outcomes in Young US Adults Hospitalized With COVID-19
- Incidence of Nosocomial COVID-19 in Patients Hospitalized at a Large US Academic Medical Center
- De novo design of picomolar SARS-CoV-2 miniprotein inhibitors
- The Immunology of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children with COVID-19
- Facial Masking for Covid-19 — Potential for “Variolation” as We Await a Vaccine
- Development of Transverse Myelitis after Vaccination. A CDC/FDA Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Study, 1985–2017
- Detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in Blood of Patients with COVID-19: What Does It Mean?
- Ultra-sensitive Serial Profiling of SARS-CoV-2 Antigens and Antibodies in Plasma to Understand Disease Progression in COVID-19 Patients with Severe Disease
- Association between SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies and commercial serological assays
- Broad and strong memory CD4+ and CD8+ T cells induced by SARS-CoV-2 in UK convalescent individuals following COVID-19
- CR4 Việt Nam (290 pages)
- Infection Fatality Ratios for COVID-19 Among Noninstitutionalized Persons 12 and Older: Results of a Random-Sample Prevalence
- High potency of a bivalent human VH domain in SARS-CoV-2 animal models
- Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 reinfection by a phylogenetically distinct strain
- Engineering human ACE2 to optimize binding to the spike protein of SARS coronavirus 2
- Ad26 vaccine protects against SARS-CoV-2 severe clinical disease in hamsters
- Safety and immunogenicity of an rAd26 and rAd5 vector-based heterologous prime-boost COVID-19 vaccine in two formulations: two open, non-randomised phase 1/2 studies from Russia.
- Accumulating evidence suggests anti-TNF therapy needs to be given trial priority in COVID-19 treatment
- SARS-CoV-2 specific T-cell responses and correlations with COVID-19 patient predisposition
- Community Outbreak Investigation of SARS-CoV-2 Transmission Among Bus Riders in Eastern China
- A molecular trap against COVID-19
- An ID Doctor’s Confrontation with His Own Case of COVID-19 – An Interview with Dr. Michael Saag
- Association Between Administration of Systemic Corticosteroids and Mortality Among Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19
- Corticosteroids for COVID-19 – New Evidence of Benefit
- Phase 1–2 Trial of a SARS-CoV-2 Recombinant Spike Protein Nanoparticle Vaccine
- Probable Evidence of Fecal Aerosol Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in a High-Rise Building.
- Ocular conjunctival inoculation of SARS-CoV-2 can cause mild COVID-19 in rhesus macaques
- . Visualizing droplet dispersal for face shields and masks with exhalation valves featured
- Tracking the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia using genomics
- Clinical Characteristics and Viral RNA Detection in Children With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in the Republic of Korea
- Annals On Call – Regulatory T Cells: Treatment for COVID-19?